In 1927 John Henry Huscroft and his oldest son Elmer started their first sawmill on the Huscroft farm, sawing railroad ties for the Great Northern Railroad, beginning the work that J.H. Huscroft Ltd. continues today. The portable sawmill moved from the farm to Boundary Creek, where it sawed timber for fruit boxes, and then on to Dodge Creek, where it burned own in 1960 only to be rebuilt in the Creston Valley at its current location. J.H. Huscroft Ltd. has been steadily expanding its operations ever since, thanks to the dedication and imagination of its generations of employees and contractors.
Harvesting timber in the Kootenay Lake Timber Supply Area, J.H. Huscoft Ltd. is committed to conducting its operations in a manner that protects the environment and supports forestry. They operate with a comprehensive sustainable management plan that is supported by an environmental management system to preserve the ecological, environmental, economic and social benefits their industry provides.
Serving customers in Japan, China and Canada, J.H. Huscoft Ltd. manufactures several dimensions of boards in Lodgepole Pine, Spruce-Pine-Fir, Douglas Fir and Larch that are used for flooring, siding and decorative panelling. They also produce a large number of specialty products including laminating stock, timbers, ties, export sizes, and fencing. In a joint venture with the Lower Kootenay Band they operate a remanufacturing facility which produces moulded and end matched products. Community oriented and long-term thinking drives there business and the company is always reinvesting in the people they work with through apprenticeship programs on community sponsorships.